Soy Based Massage Candle Moisturising Oils
The greatest innovation in the candle industry today is the replacement of the “paraffin” based candle with a natural wax alternative and there are numerous advantages to using soy.
Some of which are listed:
- Soy burns cleanly (when the wick is kept to the correct length and the candle is burnt correctly)
- Soy candles burn cooler (the wax melts at 40 C)
- They burn between 25 – 50 % longer allowing the fragrance to be released for a longer period
- This natural, environmentally friendly wax is biodegradable and all containers can be washed with hot, soapy water to be reused. An added bonus to this throw- away society.
Did you know that soy candle wax is made by taking soybean oil and bubbling hydrogen gas through it in a process called “hydrogenation” which solidifies the oil. As it is a natural wax it can also be safely used directly on the skin.
The newest addition to the group of natural waxes is coconut oil which also goes through the hydrogenation process.
As both of these waxes burn cooler either is suitable as a massage candle base, but we will concentrate on soy in this recipe.
How To Make A Soy Massage Candle.
If you have made soy candles, then you know how easy it is. The making of a soy massage candle is just one more step in the process. The most important thing to remember is to use only pure essential oils as the fragrance and use essential oil that are safe to use directly on your skin and at a max of 1 %.
What You Need:
1/ Soy wax
2/ Essential Oils,
3/ Vegetable Oils such as almond, apricot, macadamia, olive etc
4/ Pot to melt your wax
5/ Candle jar, safety sticker and wick
Note: No colour is used in these candles.
Prepare your candle jars using the correct wick, weigh out your wax and melt. For each 100 gm of wax you will need 30 mls of vegetable oil.
Melt your wax, add your oils and when the wax has cooled to less than 5O C add your essential oil.
Pour into your prepared container when you wax has cooled.
As a added bonus, you could also add wheatgerm oil (natural Vitamin E).
Allow your candle to cool and set for approximately 24 hours before you use it.
So why would you use a soy massage candle. Well, there are three benefits to using one of a soy massage candles.
1/ It is an aromatherapy candle (we only use essential oils as they are used on the skin), so you are getting the benefits of the essential oils.
2/ Moisturising (because we have blended the soy with moisturising oils and
3/ It is a warm massage oil (because the flame warms it to approx. 40 C and normal body temp is approx. 38 C)
How To Use These candles:
- Burn the candle for approx. 20 minutes or until you get enough oil to use.
- For safety considerations ensure that you blow out the candle before you attempt to use it.
- Do NOT under circumstances pour directly onto the skin. It may be hotter than you think.
- DO NOT use on children.
There are so many benefits to burning natural candles and this totally expands the experience. Enjoy your candles.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Frosa_Katsis/204243