Did you know that the sense of smell is the strongest of all our five human senses? Fragrances can trigger memories, relax the mind and renew the spirit.
Involuntary memory is a conception of human memory in which cues encountered in everyday life evoke recollections of the past without conscious effort.
In other words the sense of smell is the most powerful sense for imprinting memories on the brain and for triggering memories. How many times has a particular fragrance reminded you of a place, and event or a person?
I know my my own experience that the one thing that reminds me of the ship that we sailed to Australia in, is Tomato soup. I was 3 years old. I can’t remember anything else about the ship but the smell of tomato soup takes me back to well over 50 years to that ship.
Studies have shown that certain fragrances can help make a person feel more relaxed, and emotionally comforted.
In other words the sense of smell is the most powerful sense for imprinting memories on the brain and for triggering memories. This is why retail outlets are now using fragrance as well as music in-store. Even doctor’s surgeries are now using fragrance to relax the patient.
In candle making the fragrance of your candle will be the main selling point. Have you ever had a customer who has purchased a candle without smelling it?
You will find most suppliers have a huge range of fragrances but you can also mix fragrances to create your own unique blends such as:
Berry Smoothie – 1 part Strawberry to 1 part Raspberry to 1 part Blueberry to 1 part Vanilla Peaches & Cream – 3 parts Apricot or Peach with 1 part Vanilla Coconut Cream- 4 parts Coconut with 1 part Vanilla Lemon Eucalyptus – 1 part Eucalyptus and 1 part Lemongrass Essential oil ( love this fresh fragrance)
Experiment, that’s part of the fun of being able to make your own candles.
To get you thinking, here are some interesting facts about our sense of smell.
- We smell with our brains and not our nose!
- Women have a better sense of smell than their male counterparts.
- Good aromas can make us happy.
- Smells and fragrances are directly linked to nostalgia and can trigger old memories.
- Our sense of smell is stronger in spring and summer and after exercise.
- Romantically involved couples can smell their partner’s happiness, fear and sexual arousal!
- A study carried out by Yale University concluded that out of 80 different scents, coffee was the most identifiable scent.
- Your sense of smell accounts for 75-95% of the impact a flavour has. Without being able to smell the difference between onion and potato, it’d be difficult to tell them apart.
And remember we are all different so choose a candle fragrance range that will have wide appeal to your customers.
Have fun and enjoy the experimenting.